Thursday 30 January 2014

Testing

My post titles have been severely uninspired recently, but judging by the SO FAR title of 'SpaceBoy'; what do you expect. My laziness is just even more visible, is all.

I've been talking with my buddy Oliver - the fella who's helping build the game, via Construct; to keep you in the loop - and he shared with me some builds based around the gravitational mechanics and low-grav/flip-grav/teleport beams throughout the game's design.
With these builds we've discussed camera work - whether it should/shouldn't track the player when the world has flipped, yet, keeping it on the player when in hamster ball-type areas, gravitational triggers - 'press space-bar to flip gravity' - and area zone in which the player can manipulate their gravitational powers.

With these 8 tests firmly in place I've maneuvered swiftly back to animations and, to quote my tutor, "make it look pretty" through potential in-game art and design.
I also managed - again, with the help of my tutor - to alter the image size of SpaceBoy to pixelated, and back again; to give off a glitch-filled feel.


Forget the unregistered shit above the animation; the software was used in order to quickly put the PNG frames together and thus show off a quick mockup of a glitched SpaceBoy running sequence.



Another quick mock-up of an idle sequence 'glitched'.



SpaceBoy in 'prone', transitioning from normal to glitched and back again. The static-like animation references the Wreck It Ralph style of jolty animation (see below).




Notice the minor characters - the ones dancing - and even Felix's walk, reference old-school video gaming it their animations; as though frames are missing, as they jump from one position to another. This is the style I hope to somewhat incorporate within SpaceBoy.



No comments:

Post a Comment