Monday 13 January 2014

..alright.




























Terrible sequel. And even more terrible that I put it in, and that you don't even need to watch it because the tagline at the top of the video pretty much sums up what I'm going for.
Metaphor though - bare with me - walking from the smoke and crumbling debris, returning back from the brink (Christmas/New Year) with a vengeance. Though slightly cut-up and bruised; ready to face whatever else stands in my way.

Or whatever, who cares.

So I haven't done an entry in a while, Christmas for me was essentially 4 weeks of multiple illnesses, positively rounded off with the anticipation of, and the giving - there of - of gifts.

My recent contribution to the project in hand has been to teach myself the application of which SpaceBoy will surely flourish on, in 9 short months - Construct 2. With this, I thought I'd learn the basics, to further a grasp of the task at hand and how to - therefore - beneficially produce quality in the grand scheme of things.

Already, after doing some basic tutorials for platform game development, I see the process much clearer - as intentionally it was me doing all the concepts, design and in-game artwork and assets, and my wise friend fella Oliver who was putting it all together, to form a functional combination of a few years conception into a small playable game.

As such, I wanted to also to know the software for future reference, and if for any reason progress is slowing down, I can potentially be there to chime in, with basic programming, as well as my initial project role.

I've also established the need for play testing. Sure, something that clearly is needed to ensure a solid gaming experience for the other player(s), but also as a basic means of seeing how mechanics I conceptualized last year, fare in quality when actually running in real-time.
The final reason - for now - for wanting to learn Construct 2 was the fact that I prefer seeing how something's made, how it functions, if it works, if it doesn't, pacing, design, etc. That's why I loved level designing so much last year, it was - if anything - my favourite of the three modules, as it required small sketched out concepts, that I would then apply and further within the game's level editing software.

I enjoy coming up with ideas and concepts, but I don't feel like it's complete without actually producing something - from those ideas - that can be played, tested, criticized and improved.

So with all that crap above justified (I haven't proof read) to me anyway, I will be providing updates based around testing and Construct 2 learning.







Cheers. Merry January.

No comments:

Post a Comment