Tuesday 15 October 2013

Reminiscing...

In my last post I discussed, in slight detail, Super Mario Bros.; reading numerous articles and watching multiple videos that suggested it was indeed one of the greatest video game franchises of all time - with Super Mario Bros. being labeled in various sources as potentially the greatest video game, of all time.

I wanted to post up some specific articles and videos that really capture and justify the importance of Super Mario Bros., not just for me, but also for important industry figures such as Hideo Kojima - Metal Gear series creator - and his nostalgic memories of the game;

"...I think it was one of the first to nail down the idea of permanence in games. Even simple actions like running and jumping have deep gameplay implications."




Something else I stumbled across is a video feature; 'Top 100 Video Games of All Time' from G4TV's website, where Super Mario Bros. is labeled as the greatest, coming in at number one.
Along with a small write-up, the page features a video dedicated to the title; with celebrities - sadly - giving their fond memories of playing the game, and even the day it was released. Tony Hawk, professional Skate Boarder states,

"Super Mario NES definatly got me into home systems, home console; I would sit in my room.. I remember sitting in my room, not realizing it had gotten dark outside"


WARNING: The video features some ridiculously annoying and seemingly irrelevant 'celebrities'. Some of the comments from the interviewees, however, help to reinforce my understanding of OTHER people's nostalgic views and opinions towards such art forms, instead of just my own.


Not to mention some of the website's user comments below the video. Among the ramblings and bitching that often occurs on opinion-based lists such as these, I discovered a few noticeable, coherent statements.
Shawn Slaughter states,

'SMB is the reason we have video games today. If not for Nintendo, Mario, and the NES, we might not be where we are in the video game industry, and that's a fact. This game deserves to be at the top for the rest of history, and I know it's my opinion, but anyone who doesn't think so is dead wrong'

Yet, to counter-balance Shawn's statement, Evan Sunderman argues,

'Super Mario Bros as #1? What a copout. This whole list can't seem to decide if it's a list of "best games" or "most important/influential games", and there is a big difference. SMB has had a huge impact on gaming, and in terms of importance, it's in the top 3, if not the top spot, but that does not automatically make it the best game ever. I have very fond memories of playing SMB with my sister as a kid, but don't let nostalgia push a game to the front of the pack. Important, or best, pick and meaning and stick to it G4.'



No comments:

Post a Comment